Fourth grade at Wakarusa Elementary becomes a transition year between the primary and intermediate grades. Fourth graders are given more opportunities to be involved in school activities. The Fourth graders are involved in switching math classes. This gives the students an idea of what school will be like in Fifth grade.
The Fourth graders are given freedom and responsibilities that the primary classes do not yet have. With this new freedom and responsibility the students must become organized and able to complete all assignments in a timely manner and set good examples for the younger students.
Fourth grade will feature the following academic subjects and activities:
- The use of the four basic operations with whole numbers, fractions, and decimals
- Number Sense
- All classes stress reading for enjoyment and comprehension.
- Each student will read trade books of their own choice as well as stories that the teachers choose.
- Reading Vocabulary
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Process
- Writing Applications
- Language Conventions
- Literary Response & Analysis
- We will concentrate on the history and geography of Indiana.
- Note Taking
- Map Skills
- Classifying Plants & Animals
- Water Cycle & Weather
- Minerals & Rocks
- Objects in Motion
- Earth's Cycles
Each of the Science units will present the opportunity for hands-on activities and experiments.